Sequential quotations

I love discovering quotations that illustrate the flowing movement of one hexagram into its sequential neighbor -- in this case, a relation between Hexagrams 27, NOURISHMENT, and 28, CRISIS:


There's something I've noticed about food: whenever there's a crisis, if you can get people to eating normally, things get better.

(Madeleine L'Engle)


In terms of the overall hexagram sequence itself, I see such a quote as a "bridge quote," one that blends the qualties of one principle with the ones on either side of it.

At this moment I am pondering the infinite relations among the hexagrams, and the truly common sense of the I Ching -- its essential simplicity, sageness and sanity.

For what do we need during a crisis? The stuff of survival -- like food.

On the other side of Hexagram 28 sits 29, THE DEEPS (also commonly known as DANGER). Author and professor Nicholas Bromell offers a jarring image of how crisis and danger can interrelate:


Today's children lie athwart the precipice over which abundance cascades into nothingness.
(Source unknown)

Too much of a good thing, as they say...

Change, being what it is, allows for innumerable transformational possibilities. Again, with Hexagrams 28 and 29, here is another image that can suggest the sequential movement:


A crisis is a holy summons to cross a threshold.

(Sue Monk Kidd)

Interesting...while exploring quotations for this transition, I keep finding words that speak to our world's accellerating crises:

We shall continue to have a worsening ecologic crisis until we reject the...axiom that nature has no reason for existence save to serve man.

(Lynn White Jr., 1967)

I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country....Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavour to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

(Unknown; often attributed to Abraham Lincoln)

What a sea / Of melting ice I walk on!

(Phillip Massinger, Maid of Honor, 1632)

...and when I think about Hexagram 28 -- its tottering, break-point condition, and the dangers that present themselves through collapse -- I also understand that crisis reveals whatever integrity a person or a structure contains.


Let come what will; I mean to bear it out...

(William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Locrine)

Comments

Popular Posts